Monday, November 12, 2012

Berties Blanket #1: Coastal Afghan

This Veteran's Day weekend I picked up some Lion Brand Wool-Ease and Vanna's Choice for the Afghan blanket - Bertie's Blanket #1!

Berties Blanket #1
  • Wool-ease worsted in natural heather
  • Wool-ease worsted in grey heather
  • Wool-ease worsted in sea spray
  • Vanna’s Choice in silver blue
I found some of the softer shades of blues, grey and cream that I had in mind for 'coastal colours'.  I still need to find some stronger bluey greens to help make this pop a little!  But I have started... :)

A little Veteran's/Remembrance Day side note:  Did I mention that Dad was a Royal Marine?  He joined up at a ridiculously young age - 14 years old young!  He was able to join at such a young age because he was a bandsman and they like the extra time to train them to Royal Marine Band standards.  He was an extremely talented musician.  Later on he also volunteered all the time at our local Sea Cadets unit - he was one of the leads for the Marine Cadets.  The boys just thought he was the bee's knees to the point that a couple seemingly adopted him :)  Anyhoo, this weekend brought back fond memories of Remembrance Day services at the local Cenotaph, with the cadets, my Dad and all my family, paying respects to those who have served. 

Here's a picture of Dad when he joined - I still can't get over how young they all are, and in particular my Dad was quite the babyface! :)))


It felt good to start this effort on Veteran's weekend/Remembrance Day.  Thanks again for the positive response - I am overjoyed with your genorosity. 

Hugs,
Sam xxx

PS - we now have a ravelry group:  Bertie's Blankets

1 comment:

  1. What a great post to remember your Dad! He really was young in that picture!

    ReplyDelete